Monday, May 13, 2013

Sunday is pancake day - Blueberry kefir pancakes

Blueberry kefir pancakes



We haven't had pancake Sunday for a long time now and somehow Mother's day seemed to be a perfect day to revive our tradition. First I wanted to make my favourite apple-kefir-pancakes, but I remembered I had blueberries in the freezer. I was always wondering, what was the fuss about blueberry pancakes, but since I've tried them for the first time, I fully understand the excitement. What a combination, but I guess, you already knew.

What makes my pancakes special? Maybe one of my favorite ingredients: kefir. If you can get hold of it, and I'm sure you can, try it out and let me know what you think.

I must confess, that I've made these fantastic pancakes for the first time already a few weeks ago, but by the time I thought of taking pictures, they were all gone. So this Sunday I had to hold back for a moment, to take a few snapshots, before I made a dive for them.

And here they are...
Ingredients

150 g cake flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 pinch of salt
2 tsp baking powder
300 ml kefir
1 egg
3 tbsp melted butter
150 g frozen blueberries

Take two bowls and mix the dry ingredients in the one bowl and the kefir, egg and melted butter in the other. Whisk the kefir, egg and butter till it's smooth. Then add gradually the flour mixture: that way you avoid the batter to lump. When you batter is nice thick and smooth, add the blueberries and combine.
pancake batter with blueberries

pancake batter in the panPreheat your oven to 100 °C.

Heat your pan, pour in a bit of oil (ca. 1 tsp), reduce the heat to medium-low and pour 1 tbsp of your pancake batter per pancake to the pan. Fry till golden brown, then turn.
flipped to the other side
Put your pancakes into the oven to keep them nicely warm.

Wipe your pan clean with a damp cloth, before you fry the next batch. Last time I forgot to do it and the following pancakes turned very quickly black on the outside, but were far from being done.





Now dust with icing sugar or pour honey, butter or maple syrup over them. I've been told, they are also very delicious with bacon.

Blueberry kefir pancakes

Enjoy!

0 comments: