Friday, February 1, 2013

I'm back with apple-kefir-pancakes

Last Sunday I made apple-kefir pancakes with my daughter, when I realised that almost a year went by since my last post. I started feeling bad having turned my back on my writing for so long. Now I could try to come up with some lame excuses, but it wouldn't change the fact, that I turned a blind eye on it. Anyhow, I grabbed my camera, took a few pictures and here I am, back with apple-kefir pancakes. And I hope I will now pick up, where I started and keep that project up as planed.



Many things changed by now. We finally managed to find a source of Namibian products. I'm now purchasing my dairy products, meat and vegetables from Namibian farmers. And additionally, most of the products are organic - that's what I call a win-win situation.
I remember, when I first arrived in Namibia, how surprised I was, that relatively little products were from Namibia, all seemed to come from South Africa and Europe. But Namibia is luckily making progress and started a project "Proudly Namibian". 5 years later more and more produces are Namibian. Yesterday I even purchased olive oil from Swakop River. And surprisingly  it tastes delicious: extremely mild, with a beautiful green-golden colour.

But back to the pancakes. I thought I will start with something sweet, since it's my daughters favourite Sunday breakfast. But it's also a lovely memory of my childhood. My grandma used to spoil me with those every summer I spend with her in a small mountain village in Poland. They still taste as good as I remember and bring back memories from my home country, soothing at one go the bit of home sickness I feel from time to time.





Ingredients for approximately 4 persons (depending on your hunger):

2 big apples
4 medium eggs (separated)
2 cups kefir (you can also use buttermilk)
2 tsp backing powder
cake flour (approximately 250 - 300 g)
oil to fry
salt
icing sugar

Pour the kefir into a large bowl. Add the egg yolks, a pinch of salt and stir till homogeneous. 
Peal the apples, remove the core and chunk the apple.
Sieve as much flour into the kefir-egg mixture till the consistency is quite thick (similar to a waffle batter). 
Mix the backing powder in and add the apple.
Beat the egg white stiff and fold into the batter. 



Heat some oil (not too little, otherwise it'll burn and not too much, as they tend to get oily) and reduce the heat to medium / medium-low. Pour one tablespoon of batter a time to the pan and fry till golden brown, then turn.










Remove from the pan and put on a paper towel to drain the oil. Clean the pan with a paper towel, put some fresh oil in and fry the next pancakes. Sieve the icing sugar on the pancakes and serve warm.




Enjoy!