Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Quick and delicious spelt - curd - bread

spelt - curd - bread

We ran out of bread yesterday and our shopping day is still a few days away. I haven't baked bread for months, so I didn't have any starter/motherdough  to bake my usual bread. I baked already bread without a starter, but they aren't as tasty, additionaly they also don't stay fresh longer then one or two days. I've set my starter immediately, but was still sitting with the problem of not having any bread at home. I decided to give it a try and find a new recipe for a quick bread.


I intended to find a recipe for a spelt or full corn bread, considering us trying to eat as healthy as possible since new year. Christmas time was a killer, we haven't watched our figure at all and since it was as hot as I mentioned already, we had lots and lots of ice cream. Now we are back on track and trying to avoid white flour, too much fat and of course ice cream. I know, my apple - kefir pancakes haven't been really diet food, but one day a week we are allowed to sin - it makes it definitely easer to stick to our plan.


By the way, for our Namibian followers, you get spelt flour only under the German name Dinkelmehl, at least I haven't found it otherwise yet. Please contact me, if you could buy it differently.


Anyway, I discovered this very interesting bread recipe I couldn't wait to try out. I should mention at the beginning, it's not meant to be kneaded by hands, because the dough is too runny.



Quick and delicious spelt - curd - bread


Ingredients


600 g spelt flour 

500 ml lukewarm water
250 g full fat (!) curd (smooth cottage cheese)
125 g roasted sunflower, pumpkin and linseed
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1 pkg instant yeast


First mix the flour with yeast, then add all other ingredients. 


Knead thoroughly with a stand mixer or hand mixer. 



Leave covered to rest for 30 minutes, 


then pour the batter into the oiled bread pan.
  

Meanwhile preheat the oven to 200 °C (without fan), put a fire proof dish filled with water at bottom and bake the bread for 50 minutes.


Out comes a delicious, fluffy and nicely moist bread.



Enjoy!

0 comments: