Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Hake on pepper relish

I'm always looking for nice fish recipes, preferable quick and easy to make, as I usually need them for lunch. I rarely get hold of fresh fish, if so, it's mostly salmon, which is ridiculously expensive in Namibia. The most popular fish species you can buy in the supermarket is hake, kingklip, smoked haddock, salmon and salmon trout, less often and then rather fresh, is kabeljou and sole, but to be honest you can get hold of it almost exclusively at the cost. So every time we are at the cost, we obviously buy our fish at a fish deli, enjoy it fresh there and can't resist to bring some back home, of course frozen. 

But today I was up to something simple and quick. I had hake in my deep freezer anyway, so the choice was obvious. 




Ingredients for 2 persons:


5 hake fillet steaks 

flour 
1 red and yellow pepper
1 small red chilli
4 spring onions (only the white ends)
2 garlic gloves
small bunch of fresh citrus thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp paprika paste
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp honey
olive oil 
salt 
pepper

Slice the pepper as fine as possible. Don't do the same mistake, as I did (see the picture). The pepper is otherwise too overpowering and takes too long to cook. 

Slice the spring onions and chop the garlic. Heat some olive oil in a pot, add the peppers, onions, garlic, chilli, citrus thyme (you can also use common thyme, I'm just lucky having both in my garden), bay leaf and a pinch of salt. Put the heat on low and let simmer till soft, stirring it from time to time. Add the paprika paste, balsamic vinegar and honey, season with salt and pepper to taste. Leave on the lowest heat to simmer. If you don't have paprika paste handy, season with sweet paprika powder instead.

Prepare a dish with flour and season generously with salt and pepper. Fill an other dish with warm water and take the frozen fish out of the freezer. Dip the fish into the warm water and coat with the seasoned flour.


Heat some olive oil in a pan  and fry the fish till done. 


Serve the hake on the pepper relish with rice - I used jasmine rice, it's my favourite.


Enjoy!

0 comments: