Wednesday, May 15, 2013

My quick and delicious spelt-curd-bread revamped

Maybe you remember the quick and delicious spelt-curd-bread I presented in February, possibly one or the other even tried it out. As for me, it became my favourite bread and I'm baking it almost every week, alternating the seeds I'm putting in. 


So why revamping it? Well, I had the problem, that with the given quantity of ingredients, my bread either overflowed the baking dish 
overflowed loaf
or if I separated it in two baking tins, the breads turned out to flat, because there wasn't enough dough. At least with backing two loaf, I've been able to find out, that the bread is staying fresh and fluffy for a really long time. Even after 5 days in my cupboard, wrapped in a kitchen towel, the inside was almost as good as on the second day. Not that its very important to us, because normally we eat that bread within two days, but still good to know.
So last time I was baking with my original recipe, I've put the dough in only one baking tin again and my bread rose so much, that the thin crust broke and the still fluid dough flowed out all over the oven. I almost started to cry.
So that week I decided to reduce the amount of flour and adjust the other ingredients. But I didn't adjust consequently, because I wanted to experiment a bit. The idea of baking a smaller bread was initially grounded in getting hold of smaller packages of instant yeast; instead of 10 g they are only 7 g now. I wasn't sure, how the bread will come out, but as you can already guess, it turned up just better than the previous. Even my husband asked, if I changed something.

So here comes my revamped and improved Spelt-curd-bread with sunflower seeds

Ingredients

500 g full-corn spelt flour

420 ml lukewarm water
220 g full fat (!) curd (cottage cheese) - Edit: I reduced again the cottage chease content from 300g as the bread was way to dense and lost it's fluffyness
85 g roasted sunflower seeds
1 tsp sugar
1,5 tsp salt
7 g instant yeast


As in my other recipe, mix first the flour with yeast, then add all other ingredients. Start with the dry ingredients, then add the water, then the curd and at the end the seeds. I observed, that if I put in the salt in an already fluid dough, it doesn't spread out evenly.


Knead thoroughly with a stand mixer or hand mixer and leave covered to rest for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile preheat the oven to 200 °C (without fan) and put a fire proof dish filled with water at bottom.
Pour the batter into the oiled bread pan and bake the bread for 45 minutes.


Out comes a delicious, fluffy and nicely moist bread. Compared to the previous, it's firmer but also even moister. And, it doesn't overflow the loaf pan.

Full-corn spelt curd bread with sunflower seeds

Enjoy!



0 comments: