Saturday, May 18, 2013

It's getting cold, but we're still having salad

Leafy salad with herbed Feta, avocado and oranges

The following salad is absolute my favourite, for many years already. The idea or let's better say the original, as I'm making it exactly as I ate it for the first time, came from a restaurant in Berlin, Steglitz. The salad was named after the restaurant itself and is until today their biggest seller. 
As I made it a few days ago, after a really long time, I had the feeling, I forgot something. When I looked up, if the restaurant still exists, it hit me right away: I forgot the potato croutons. So even if they are not on the picture, the recipe is not complete without the potato croutons.
The salad is for me of course connected to a lot of memories, but even so  the combination of the flavours and textures is amazing. What I like most, to my surprise, is the combination of cucumber, orange and avocado. I'm always placing these ingredients together on the plate, so they are enjoyed together.
The only thing I'm missing, is the fantastic herbed feta they used, it was very soft and not as salty in taste as the one I'm getting here. Still, the salad is in my opinion one of the best.
So, there is not much to say, just try it out and I hope you'll love that salad as much as I do. 
Leafy salad with herbed Feta, avocado and oranges
Ingredients (for 2)

200 g leafy salad

1 avocado
1 orange
1 tomato
12 - 16 slices cucumber
150 g herbed feta
50 g sunflower seeds
1 potato
oil
1 tsp butter

for the dressing

50 ml balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp honey
1 small garlic clove, chopped finely
1 tsp Dijon mustard
salt
ground black pepper
50 ml olive oil

Wash your salad in cold water, and remember my tip, leaving the leafs whole for the washing, otherwise you wash the nutrition out. If you find bugs in the salad, you can pour a generous dash of vinegar into the water.


Roast the sunflower seeds, fillet the orange, slice the tomato and peel and slice the avocado. Put all aside.


Peel the potato and cut in tiny cubes. You can also precook the potatoes, if you like, it depends how you like it. The cubes are actually so small, that they cook through in the pan very fast, so there is no need. 

Heat some oil in a pan and melt the butter in it, add the potato cubes and fry them golden brown. Salt and pepper to taste.

Prepare the dressing. I'm always using an old jar, so I pour all the ingredients inside, screw the lid on and shake well. If you have an other technique, I recommend to combine all ingredients except the oil. That way the spices merge better with the vinegar. Actually I add the oil even with the jar technique at the end only. I have the feeling the dressings are tastier that way.


Now arrange the cucumber slices, avocado, orange fillets, tomato slices at the edge of the plate and drizzle some dressing over. Combine the leafy salad with the rest of the dressing and put into the middle. Sprinkle roasted sunflower seeds, herbed Feta and potato croutons over the salad.

Serve with fresh bread, for example spelt-curd-bread with sunflower seeds, as we did.


Leafy salad with herbed Feta, avocado and oranges


Enjoy!


0 comments: