Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Cooking with okra part 2

We managed to go to our organic market on Saturday morning. It's a really nice, small market, mostly  extremely packed with people, but I kinda like the atmosphere. That's one of these moments, when I miss the beautiful, huge markets of Berlin, I loved to saunter around on my days off. I like getting my groceries from the markets, it's like the small corner shops from the earlier days. You get the chance to talk to the farmers, see where your food is coming from, ask questions and being social.
Be that as it may, we bought okra again and I was eager for preparing another, for me exotic, dish with that wonderful vegetable.
As you maybe remember the article I read about okra and the writers dislike for okra getting slimy. Well, the following dish is one of those, but it didn't bother us at all, as it was in perfect harmony with all the other ingredients. I guess, if I have more time for preparing lunch (at the moment both kids are at home due to the kindergarten being closed for two weeks) I will give it a try to prepare the okra as in the article described, in order to get rid of the sliminess and check if I prefer the dish that way. But as I said, I wasn't bothered and just noticed, what the author meant.
The dish is inspired by that recipe, but as you will see, I changed quite a bit, especially because I was running out of time and the given recipe was very time consuming. Nevertheless we were more than pleased, so was our guest, we had that day for lunch. There is only one thing left to say, you must find out for yourself which recipe you prefer. Anyway, here is my take on

West African chicken stew with okra



West African chicken stew with okra

Ingredients

500 g boneless chicken breasts

1 small onion
2 -3 medium garlic cloves
1 tin cherry tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
250 ml chicken stock
125 ml water
300 g fresh okra
1 medium sized sweet potato (300 g)
3 tbsp peanut butter at room temperature
salt
cayenne pepper
canola oil

Basmati rice


Rinse the chicken, pat dry and cut into 2 -3 cm cubes . Put in a bowl, season with salt, add 1 tbsp of oil and mix all together. 

Chop the onion and garlic finely.
Put the tinned tomatoes in a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour the water into the tin and swirl to remove all leftover sauce. Now dissolve the tomato paste in that water.
Whisk the peanut butter with the chicken broth until smooth.

Heat the pan and sear the chicken cubes golden brown, but don't cook through. Remove from the pan and put aside. Pour another tablespoon of oil into the pan and fry the onion till it starts to brown. 

Add the processed tomatoes, the water with tomato paste, garlic and chicken and season with cayenne pepper to taste.
Now pour the broth - peanut mixture in and stir all together until it's well combined. Bring to boil without a lid, reduce the heat, cover and let simmer for approximately 20 minutes. Stir from time to time, so it doesn't stick too much to the pan or burn.

In the meantime wash the rice and cook to your liking. 

Peel the sweet potato and cut into cubes same size as the chicken. Remove the stems from the okra and chop in 2-3 cm pieces. Mix all nicely into the stew and let it simmer, with the lid on, for another 10 minutes.

Serve with rice and Enjoy!


0 comments: