Thursday, May 23, 2013

Swiss twisted bread with sun dried tomatoes

Swiss twisted bread with sun dried tomatoes

I already announced on my FB-page, that my next post will be about that fantastic bread. I had saved the recipe for quite a long time and was just waiting for the right moment to bake it. I found it here (in German language) and it was advertised as the perfect bread for braais (BBQ). Last Saturday we were invited for a braai and I thought, it's the ideal time to give it a try. That way I also had a small present. 

I halved the ingredients as I thought it would be too much. Well, stupid me, I didn't expect the bread to be that good and I ended up baking the next day again.
I knew, I took a risk baking a bread I never did before, especially because it took me longer then I thought and the bread was just ready as we had to drive. But the recipe was described  as  easy to make, so I thought I will take my chance.
Luckily I had sour dough in my fridge. I wasn't sure if I can still use it, as I've made it month ago. But all went well and the bread turned out "divine" as my friends remarked. And it has been proven, that my sour dough turned out nice and potent, so I "fed" it with 100 g flour and 100 g lukewarm water immediately in order to make sure, I can use it again. I read in bread baking forums, that people use their sour doughs or mother doughs for 20! years by only feeding them on a regular base. That's so spectacular.

Beside that, I think the fact, that all the herbs and the tomatoes were home grown, made the bread even more special.

Ingredients

450 g white bread flour

100 g sour dough
250 ml water
7 g instant yeast
1/2 tbsp salt (10 g)
100 g dried tomatoes in oil
30 ml tomato oil
1 tbsp oregano (dried)
1 tbsp basil (dried)
rye flour to dust
maize flour to dust (Maizena)

First chop the sun dried tomatoes finely. 

With a kitchen machine mix the flour with yeast and salt, then add the sour dough and pour the water in. 
Add now the chopped tomatoes and oil and let the machine knead till everything is nicely mixed together and the tomatoes are spread evenly over the dough.
The dough must now rise for 1 - 2 hours. Every 15 minutes you have to fold the dough either with a bench scraper (I still need one) or with your hand. To do so, you go underneath the dough and pull the bottom up and fold over the rest of the dough. Then you turn the bowl and fold again. I think I folded the dough every time 4 times.

Preheat the oven to 230°C (no fan). Put your bakestone on the lowest rail. If you don't have a bakestone, you can also take a glazed tile. I use one for years already and bake successfully pizzas and breads on it. To be honest, I never thought it would work, but it does perfectly.


When the rising time is over, take the dough out the bowl and don't knead it any more but half it. Now you pull the dough pieces to the desired length and twist them, dust with rye and maize flour. Let them rise again a bit and place them on the bakestone or tile. Spray the walls of the oven with water and bake the bread for 25 - 30 minutes till golden brown.



Swiss twisted bread


Let the bread cool down and enjoy!


In the comments of the original recipe were suggestions of baking the bread also with bacon or walnuts or caramelized onions. So there are plenty variations for the bread to try out and I will definitely bake a lot of the breads...



0 comments: