Monday, July 1, 2013

I'm back again - with a new look and with an Almond - Pine nut Butter

First of all, I need to apologise for me staying absent for such a long time. Beside our holidays, a few things came together and so I didn't get the chance to write or to cook. And before you know it a whole month has passed and you begin to wonder, where the time has gone.
I was also busy working on the new design of the blog, as you can see. I wanted to minimise the loading time  and make everything easer to read. Unfortunately I still have to work on the mobile version, as the menu keeps staying cut off, no matter, what I do.
But that's a minor matter, lets move on to the essence, the cooking. Today it's more mixing but not less tasteful.


Almond - Pine nut Butter
When we came home from our holidays, I decided to finally make the almond butter from a recipe I found on this page (in Polish language). The original recipe, according to the author of that page, is coming from Gillian McKeith. I must admit, I never followed up, as it wasn't of much interest to me.
I had all the necessary ingredients at home for weeks already, but somehow I never managed to remember to soak the almonds over night. So when I baked my usual spelt curd bread, I also got started with the butter.
I don't know, if it was just that particular day - my bread didn't come out as usual, or if it was the recipe, but I just couldn't get it right. Finally, after a long struggle with different kitchen appliances and few adjustments to the recipe I eventually was satisfied. My problem was, that I couldn't get the butter smooth enough to be a butter in my book. The taste was also not as satisfying as I thought it would be. But at the end I can say, I was very pleased.
And here comes the big BUT. Since I've made the butter, I didn't use it once. Don't get me wrong, the butter is delicious and I guess, if you're on diet, it's a nice substitute. But somehow I'm not using it at all. 
According to the article, the butter can stay in the fridge for 2 weeks, I also froze half of it from the get go, to keep it longer fresh, as somehow I already expected, that I won't use it as much. 
So I'm not sure, if I can call that project a failure or not. The idea of it sounded so appetising, but I never really gave it a thought, if I could use it. 
Anyway, maybe some of you can make use of it and give me some ideas about the where and how. Please feel welcome to comment and give me inspiration. I would be more than disappointed, if I couldn't find any use for that delicious Almond - Pine nut Butter.
Ingredients

200 g peeled almonds, soaked in water over night
75 g pine nuts
1 garlic clove
4 - 5 tbsp olive oil (original recipe 2 tbsp)
4-5 tbsp lemon juice (original recipe 2 tbsp)
1 tsp salt (not in the original recipe)

You can also soak unpeeled almonds, if you like, but you have to remove the skin before mixing. Try to use a very good quality olive oil so as not to compromise the taste. 
Mix all the ingredients in a blender for a very long time until smooth and buttery. Try to add the olive oil and the lemon juice a spoonful at a time and don't stick exactly to my salt amount. Start with 2 tbsp each and a bit of salt and taste.
And don't be inpatient, it takes quite a while till the mixture is smooth.

Enjoy!


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

0 comments: