Thursday, July 11, 2013

A surprisingly nice tuna salad

Tuna salad

I have days, when I really struggle a lot to find something I could dish up. There are millions of recipes out there, but nothing seems to be right. And then I open the fridge and close it again, go through my cupboards and still don't know, what to do.
Wednesday was such a day and I hate them. It feels like I don't have two brain cells to rub together. And the more I open and close my fridge and cupboards, the less of an idea I have of what to cook.
That's the point, where I have to take a deep breath, decide on one component and work my way forward. Mostly I pick an ingredient we haven't had for a while, like tinned tuna this time.
So I searched the internet for quick and easy recipe, as after the indecisive search I was running out of time and found that great simply recipe (in German language).
I didn't change much, but I substituted the mayonnaise partially with Greek yogurt, as I don't like to use mayonnaise only. I also added juice of half a lemon to get a nice taste and add some more acidity.
The salad was quickly made, apart from waiting for the rice to cook through, and was fresh, satisfying and very tasty. So tasty, that I ate it the next day again... and it was even better.
I think it's a brilliant dish to have either for lunch or dinner. You can also prepare it the day prior and put it in a Tupperware and take it along to work.
I 'm pretty sure, this Tuna rice salad will be dished up in our house more often .
Ingredients (3-4 portions)

100 g uncooked rice (I took Basmati) - original recipe used brown rice
150 g corn kernels (frozen or tinned) - original 200 g
2 tins tuna in oil (170 g net mass) - original 1 tin
1 big bell pepper
1 small onion - not in the original recipe
50 g rucola
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tbsp mayonnaise - original 3 tbsp
2 tbsp Greek yogurt - not in the original recipe
3 tbsp Balsamico bianco
juice of half a lemon
salt,
pepper

First cook the rice of your choice to your liking. As I used frozen corn, I cooked it together with the rice.
In order to quickly cool the rice - corn mixture down, I rinsed it with cold water.
Meanwhile slit the bell pepper, in my case a yellow one, and the onion finely and cut the rucola in ribbons.
Drain the oil of the tuna.
Stir all prepared ingredients and the parsley together in a bowl. Add now the yogurt, mayonnaise and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.

Enjoy!

0 comments: