Thursday, July 25, 2013

Chicken stew with carrots and snow peas

Chicken stew with carrots and snow peas

I'm a bit late this week, sorry for that. But here I am and here (in German language) I found an other take on my favorite chicken recipe (Chicken stew with snow peas and almonds) and I can't really decide, which one I prefer. 
I really like the combination of snow peas and chicken. Oh, who am I kidding, I just LOVE snow peas. Since I was a kid already. Although, my grandmother was growing the sugar snap peas, which are not flat as the snow peas, but more round and the skin of the pod is a bit thicker and crispier. Also the peas are big and unbelievably sweet. The point is, you can eat the peas and the pods and that's what I like about them. Every time we came for visit, I couldn't wait to get to the back of the garden and eat them directly from the plant.

I love the combination of the sweet taste of the pea and the fresh and crisp or crunchy taste of the pod, yummy.
Now, if you have a recipe, you really like, you can only eat it so many times, especially because it's now season for snow peas, which means they are affordable and tasty. I wanted to try out a new combination of those two ingredients and was really glad to find that recipe. I served it with rice, but didn't include it in the cooking process.
Ingredients (for 2)

300 g skinless chicken breasts
1 large carrot
125 g snow peas
1 small onion or shallot
25 g butter
25 g flour
300 ml chicken stock
100 ml milk
2 tbsp Dijon wholegrain mustard
50 ml cream
2 tsp parsley,  finely chopped 
salt
black pepper
oil

Slice the carrot thinly, clean and wash the snow peas and cut in mouth size pieces. Dice the onion.
Rinse the chicken under cold water and pat dry. Cut in mouth size pieces, place in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and mix with 1 tbsp of oil.
Heat a pan and fry the chicken, till it starts getting color but is not yet cooked through. Put aside.
Add some oil to the pan and stir fry the onion, carrot and snow peas for around 2 minutes. Take off the heat and put aside.

Melt the butter in the pan and add the flour by stirring, till a light brown lump is formed. Add now slowly the stock in small amounts, continuously whisking. That way you prevent to blob the sauce. Add now the milk, still whisking. The sauce should now have a nice consistency.
Add now the chicken and vegetables and let it simmer for 4-5 minutes, by stirring occasionally.
Mix in the cream, mustard and 1 tsp parsley and season with salt and pepper.

Serve with rice and sprinkle with the rest of the parsley.

Enjoy!

Note: I fried the chicken in a peri peri oil, which gave the dish a bit of spiciness. But I must admit, that it covered the taste of the sauce too much and that's why I didn't put it into the recipe

0 comments: