Monday, July 8, 2013

Peppers stuffed with mince and Feta

Stuffed peppers

I wanted to publish that recipe for a long time already, not only because I love it, but also because it changed my attitude toward stuffed peppers. Not that long ago, you could have chased me by just mentioning that dish. Mostly burned pepper mush with a nasty skin, preferably stuck to my palate. It just wasn't mine, partially because I was convinced, that I only like raw peppers.
Now thank to that recipe, I started using peppers in my cooking more and more and in any preparation form.
So what makes the difference? To begin with, the peppers stay nice firm, as they are just steamed. In my opinion, the fresh taste is also very well preserved and you don't get that overcooked pepper taste. The skin is obviously still there, but as the pepper stays firm itself, it's not bothering at all.
During the winter time, I make that dish quite often, as the peppers are fresh and affordable, and it's quickly done, light and very tasty - and suitable for our whole family.
You can serve it with rice, noodles, potatoes or bread.
I should also mention, that I found the recipe in my favorite German recipe database chefkoch.de under
Illes gefüllte Paprikaschote „der anderen Art“ . Illepille, thank you. You will see, I didn't change much, as it wasn't necessary for our liking.

So here is my recipe for Peppers stuffed with mince and Feta

Ingredients (for 2)

2 - 3 big bell peppers
300 g beef mince meat 
1 small onion
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup Basmati rice
150 g herbed feta cheese
1 tbsp crumbled bread
1 small egg
1 tin tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
300 ml vegetable stock
canola oil
salt
pepper
pinch of sugar
chili flakes
sweet grounded paprika
thyme
parsley

First cook your rice just half way trough, drain it and put aside to cool. If you have rice leftovers, as we mostly have, you can use it too. The filling will turn out a bit firmer, but it will still taste nice.
Chop the onion and garlic finely and fry in a pan with some canola oil til translucent. Put aside to cool.

Now mix the mince with  a handful of rice, the fried onion - garlic mix and season with salt, pepper, sweet paprika, parsley and thyme to taste. You can season generous, as some of the seasoning will also go into the peppers and the sauce. 
Add the egg and crumbled bread, crumble in the feta and mix through. Put aside.

Process the tinned tomatoes in a food blender together with the stock and tomato paste. Season with chili flakes, salt, pepper, pinch of sugar, paprika, thyme and parsley. Pour into a pot big enough to fit your peppers and bring to boil.

Meanwhile wash the peppers and  carefully cut off the lids. Portion out the meat among the peppers and carefully put them into the boiling tomato sauce. You can also put them in right from the beginning, before you bring all to boil, but I prefer it that way, because I have the feeling, that I avoid to burn them accidentally.

Turn the heat down to minimum and let it covered simmer for 45 minutes.

As already mentioned, you can serve it with rice, noodles, potatoes or bread.

Enjoy!



0 comments: