Monday, July 15, 2013

Kingklip crumbled in couscous with creamy leeks

Kingklip with leeks

I must admit, we're not eating fish as often as we should. I can't even figure out why, because we really like eating fish and most dishes are quickly done.
Anyway, we finally had fish after three weeks or so and I found that very appealing recipe (in German language), but somehow I failed to execute it. As you can already see on the picture, the whole crumbling story didn't work out for me. The recipe stated explicit not to use egg and flour to crumble the fish, just season and press the couscous firmly onto the fish. The reason was, not to overpower the taste of the fish. Well, that worked out for me until I started frying the Kingklip and by trying to turn it, the crust just crumbled away.
I'm not sure, what the cause was. Either I didn't press the couscous enough into the fish, or maybe it doesn't work with frozen fish or I shouldn't have put lemon juice on it. Maybe it was just my old pan, either way, I sprinkled the couscous over the fish, because I didn't want to leave it out. It gave the dish a nice crunchy texture and I would have loved the crumbling to work out. So good luck to you and let me know, if you figured out, where my mistake was.
It's always very frustrating for me, when a recipe doesn't work out, the way it's described. Especially, when it sounds easy and the pictures look nice and tempting. I think I was angry the whole day, even though it was still a very tasty dish. But that's just me.
I also want to mention, that I used a store bought chutney. Normally I try to avoid using any store bought ingredients, I could do myself. And chutney is one thing, I could easily do myself. Though I didn't have any mangoes, but chutney in the fridge, I cheated a bit. Besides, my chutney was made from apricots and peaches and not mango.
A day later I found a mango-chili-marmalade in my fridge I didn't even know off and I could imagine, that could have been a nice substitute too. Anyway, guilty as charged, next time I definitely do the chutney myself...
Ingredients (for 2)

1 -2 leeks (depending on the size)
1 garlic clove
1 small onion - not in the original recipe
1 tbsp mild curry powder - 2 tbsp in the original recipe
150 ml veggie stock - 100 ml in the original recipe
150 ml milk - 100 ml cream in the original recipe
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp chutney - mango chutney in the original recipe
1 tbsp oil
salt
pepper

4 medium size Kingklip filets (ca 600 g)
couscous to crumb
salt
pepper
1/2 lemon, juice
oil

Cut the leeks in half and wash thoroughly the sand off in standing water. Slice the leek finely and chop the onion and garlic.
Season the fish with salt, pepper and lemon juice and set aside.
Heat 1 tbsp of oil,e.g canola oil, in a pot or casserole. Stew the onions, garlic and leeks translucent. Sprinkle the leeks with the curry powder and dash with stock and milk. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer half covered for about 10 minutes.
Season with salt, pepper, lime juice and chutney to taste and keep warm.

Crumb the Kingklip with couscous by firmly pressing it onto the fish.
Heat the oil in a pan and fry the fish at medium heat.

Serve withe leeks and rice or potatoes.

Enjoy!

0 comments: