Tuesday, April 2, 2013

It's chicken time

As I already mentioned, I'm trying to get rid of my pregnancy fat, but without dieting, because I'm not allowed to do so. And even if I'm one of these women, whom most other women hate, because I can eat as much as I want, as long as I work out just a bit, I'm not really getting fat. I'm also rather a stress non-eater than stress eater so that also helps a lot. But my second pregnancy is not that long ago and I gained with my first pregnancy a few kilos, kept them throughout the time in between and gained again with my second pregnancy, so I'm sitting now with few kilos I need to get rid of in order to have my comfort weight.

Best option is to change my eating habits, which never have been really bad, but lately I felt for stuff like chocolate, the already mentioned fantastic ice cream, croissants and cakes or combinations of all above. So yeah, it's time!


We're trying now to eat more lean meat and more fish, leave the pork out and cut short on fat and sugar. We will see, how it'll work out.


On that note I want to introduce you to another of my favourite chicken recipes:


Chicken Piccata



Chicken Piccata



Ingredients (for 2)


2-3 large chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)

1-2 small onions, finely chopped
1 big garlic clove, finely chopped
200ml dry white wine
400ml chicken stock
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp drained capers
1 handful finely chopped fresh parsley
salt
freshly ground black pepper
flour
canola oil
1.5 tbsp butter

Rinse the chicken breasts and pat them dry. Either butterfly the chicken breasts or pound them thin. I always pound them with a meat mallet, placing them in a plastic bag and wrapping in a kitchen towel. You can also use a pan, that works as well. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with flour till nicely covered, tap off excess. Heat some canola oil with 1/2 tbsp butter, fry the chicken breasts on medium-high heat till golden brown, but not cooked through. Preheat the oven to 100ºC, place the chicken breasts in a ovenproof dish and put in the oven.


Pour 1 tbsp of oil into the same pan you fried the chicken and brown your onions, add then the garlic and stir-fry  for a minute and deglaze with the white wine, scraping the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen the brown bits. Let it cook till the wine almost evaporates. Pour 3/4 of the chicken stock into the pan and bring to boil. Meanwhile combine 1 tsp of flour with the rest of the stock till smooth and add to the sauce in your pan. Let it simmer, stirring frequently until slightly thick. Remove from the heat and add the capers, mix in the lemon juice and stir in 1 tbsp of butter.


Plate the chicken with, for example rice, as we always do, pour the sauce all over and sprinkle with fresh parsley. It has a beautiful sour taste, combined with the natural sweetness of the chicken and rice. Together with the fresh taste of the parsley, it's again a very balanced dish.


Enjoy!



0 comments: