Monday, April 15, 2013

Beetroot tart with red onion confit, goats cheese and walnuts

Beetroot tart with red onion confit, goats cheese and walnuts

The first time I've made that dish, we were growing beetroot in our garden and all the beetroot was ready at the same time, so I was looking for different dishes I could work with. I love beetroot, but the only dishes I could come up with, were salad or soup. I wasn't in the mood for either of those. I knew, I will cook some beetroot and preserve for later, but there was still plenty left. So I stumbled upon that recipe, but decided to use a tart I knew from another recipe I've made several times already. I love that dough recipe, as it's really quickly done and doesn't contain half a cube of butter (as you maybe remember, I'm trying to lose some weight). Also I'm not a fan of puff pastry tarts - I guess it's also the butter content. Don't get me wrong, I love puff pastry, but not in that kind of dishes. Beside, there are so many fantastic tart doughs and using puff pastry is kind of boring, to me at least.

Why am I telling all this, because every time I've made that tart, I thought, it must taste great with goats cheese. So that time my inspiration came from the goats cheese lying in my fridge and of course the glass of ready-to-eat beetroot in my pantry. As I said, the very first time, I've made the tart with fresh beetroot and wasn't that stoked about the outcome. Since I'm using jarred beetroot, I like the taste much more. And that's really rare, as I normally prefer fresh products.
By the way, we don't grow beetroot in our garden anymore, because we are way too impatient and somehow the bugs in our garden seemed to love the beetroot at least as much as we do. So no beetroot anymore, we tried carrots instead. But that's another story.

Let's start with my Beetroot tart with red onion confit, goats cheese and walnuts

Ingredients

For the dough


120g cottage cheese (in my case organic)

2 tbsp milk (also organic)
4 tbsp canola oil
1/2 tsp salt
220g full corn spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder

For the topping


250g beetroot (jar)

200ml sour cream (organic :-) )
2 large eggs (I don't need to tell...)
3 small onions (preferable red)
30g butter
2 tbsp honey
300ml dry red wine

50g walnuts
250g semi-soft goat's cheese (I had one coated with herbs)
salt
pepper


First start with the confit in slicing the onions very finely. Melt the butter, add the honey and  stew the onions in it till they begin to soften. Pour then the red wine in and let it simmer till reduced to half and getting thick. Season generously with salt and pepper and combine with the beetroot. Put aside.

Crush the walnuts roughly and roast until aromatic.


Preheat the oven to 200°C and grease the baking dish.


Now combine in a bowl the cottage cheese with the milk, the oil and the salt. Mix in half of the flour and the baking powder, take then the batter out the bowl and knead the rest of the flour in. Roll out the dough and put it in the baking tin. Stab  the tart bottom several times with a fork, cover  with baking paper, put in baking beans and bake blind for 20 minutes.


Take out the pastry case and layer with the beetroot-onion mix. Mix the sour cream and eggs in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and pour over the beetroot. Cut the goats cheese in small cubes and spread on the tart. Sprinkle with the walnuts and put in the oven for 30 minutes.



Serve with a crispy green salad and a berry vinaigrette.

Beetroot tart with red onion confit, goats cheese and walnuts

Enjoy!

0 comments: