Thursday, August 15, 2013

"Thai style" chicken wraps with a crunchy peanut sauce

Chicken wraps Thai style

I stumbled upon this recipe last week on a search for a quick lunch recipe. I was bored with my old one and gladly tried this one out. Granted, the chicken must be marinated first, but according to the recipe, it's enough, if the chicken just sits a bit in the marinade, while preparing all the other ingredients. I would have preferred the chicken to be marinated longer and will definitely do that next time.
Even so, it was divine and we couldn't get enough of it.
I must admit, I didn't know, there is something like Thai chicken wraps; that's how the dish was called. So I researched and found to my surprise quite a few recipes. But, Thai wraps are wrapped either in lettuce leaves or rice paper and not tortillas. As you can see, I wrapped mine as usual in tortilla bread, so I refused to call mine "Thai".
I didn't change much to the original recipe, just substituted the ingredients I had to. Out came unbelievable tasty, fresh wraps with a sweet and nutty flavor.

Ingredients (4 wraps)

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
oil (peanut or canola)
dried chili flakes

1/2 cucumber
1 medium carrot
1/2 red pepper bell
Mizuna salad
coriander leaves (optional)
handful peanuts (optional)

For the chicken marinade

1 tbsp sushi vinegar
60 ml soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp peri peri oil
4 tbsp lime juice (or juice of 2 limes)
1 tbsp ground ginger
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp corn starch

For the peanut sauce

140 g (1/2 cup) chunky peanut butter
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp peri peri oil
4 tbsp lime juice

Start with the marinade for the chicken, obviously, by combining them all together in a bowl, except the corn starch and honey.

Rinse the chicken breasts under cold water and pat to dry. Cut the meat in thin stripes, but not too thin, otherwise they'll dry out too quickly. I would say, as thick as a female finger. Put the chicken stripes into the marinade and put aside for at least 30 minutes - that's the minimum marinating time I think would be necessary.

For the peanut sauce, warm the peanut butter in a microwave, so it starts to melt slightly and is easy to work with. Now mix in all other ingredients, till you have a nice, smooth consistency. If your sauce is too thick for your liking, you can dilute, according to the original recipe, with a bit of water. I didn't use the water at all, as for me the lime juice made the sauce runny enough.

Drain the chicken from the marinade, but catch the fluid in an other bowl. Stir the cornstarch into the leftover marinade, then mix in the honey.

Chop the cucumber, carrot and pepper bell julienne, rinse the Mizuna salad under cold water and spin to dry.

Heat some oil, peanut or canola, in a pan or wok on high heat. I used canola oil, just because I didn't have peanut oil, but I would tend to use the peanut oil. Wait till the temperature of the oil is very hot!
Fry the chicken on one side, till it gets a brown crispy skin and stir it then around till its browned all around, but not cooked through. We are talking about maximum 2-3 minutes.

Reduce the heat of the chicken to a minimum and pour in the marinade mixture, cook till the sauce thickens and coats the meat. Grind up chili flakes to you liking.

Heat a flat pan and fry the tortilla bread without any oil, till soft and lightly browned. Turn to color.

Start immediately to layer the filling, before the wraps cool down and crisp up. Start with the Mizuna salad and then the veggies. I hate coriander leaves, that's why I didn't use them, but please feel free to add them to your wrap too. If you like coriander leaves, I can imagine they go very well with that dish.
Drizzle some peanut sauce over it, place the chicken on top and drizzle again some peanut sauce all over. You can also add some peanuts for the crunch, I unfortunately didn't have any. Wrap everything and

Enjoy!

0 comments: