Sunday, August 4, 2013

My daughters birthday and a beautiful cake

Today I'm not writing about my cooking or baking, I want to give credit to the work of others.

My daughters third birthday was coming up and this year was all about Tinkerbell. That made it easy to find a cake theme.

I baked these two cakes for her first birthday, a little yellow duck and a pink cake with duckies on it. But I'm not a pâtissier and not the best cake maker either. But, I could put as little sugar in it as I wanted and I've made the icing on the duck out of juice and custard, what made it fruity and fresh and not too sweet.



But it was so much work. I've never made fondant before, let alone figures made of fondant. I'm a perfectionist and this task drove me crazy. Especially the duck cake, I hate being an amateur in doing something. To put it in an other way, I had a long night, a very long night.

So for her second birthday I decided to order a cake. Theme was Mickey Mouse Club House, we've prepared a party with all shebang. All guests got mickey mouse ears, made by my best friend. My daughter was a little beautiful Minnie Mouse and the cake was also supposed to be a Minnie Mouse.
All I can say, the cake was a disaster. When we picked  it up, I was actually crying. 
I was trying to find a picture of the cake, but I had successfully avoided to take pictures of it. I remember sitting in the car, wishing I had made the cake myself.

So of course this year I was considering doing the cake myself again. But with two kids and my memories of the first years work, I thought I will give it a try to find someone descend. I asked around and a friend recommended me Laurie's cakes. She is situated in Olympia, Windhoek and according to her, she is trying to deliver everywhere, you just need to talk to her. 
So I looked at the cake pictures on her page and decided, that I will give it a try. 
Laurie was very passionate from the beginning, asked for details and sent me eventually a design, so I could get an idea. We decided on a winter theme, from the latest Tinkerbell movie, that was coincidentally my daughters favorite, for the moment at least. 
My daughter breathed very particular wishes for her birthday: shoes, chocolate cake and marshmallows. It's amazing to see, that she, with her only 3 years, already knows exactly, what she wants. So the cake obliged already two of her desires and we just went shoe shopping after the kindergarten to make all her wishes come true.

The cake wasn't cheap though, we paid just a little less, then for our three tier wedding cake with fresh cherries. But I can say, it was worth every penny.

And that's how the cake looked like:

Lauries cakes: Tinkerbell cake

As you can see, lots of love and work went into it and made a little 3 year old girl very happy. The missing piece of wing was my over eager daughter, who couldn't wait for me to take the picture.
And the cake didn't only look good, the taste of it was divine. 
It was the moistest, fluffiest and most chocolaty cake I've ever had. The sweetness was just right, after I removed the icing obviously. But even here, Laurie tried to accommodate my request, by putting a Swiss meringue icing on it, that is made of egg white, sugar and butter, so it's less sweet. It had a slightly gooey texture and was big fun for the kids.
Thank you Laurie.

And the next birthday is definitely coming, let's see what we'll having next.

0 comments: