Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sunday is pancake day


pancake


By the time, our daughter started to eat solids, we introduced "Pancake Sunday". Pancakes are simple, easy to make and you can diversify them with different fillings. But most of all, our little one loves them and so do we. And now it became a tradition. I try to alternate every Sunday between the crêpe style pancakes, I know from my childhood, and American pancakes, or Flapjacks, as they are also called.


That Sunday I decided for crêpe style pancakes, we call them naleśniki in Poland, on the net you find them as polish crêpe . They are not as thin as french crêpe, but used the same way. 

Please don't think, because I'm doing them every Sunday, they turn out perfect. If it comes to taste and texture, I found the perfect recipe for us, but I still don't manage to do them perfectly round and evenly thin. Every Sunday I try to perfect my technique, try to pour the batter differently, and still... somehow I'm not capable of getting them right. But I'll never give up. One day... 

The recipe I show you today is a basic recipe. The secret of  the moist and elastic texture, is the balance between the ingredients. Please don't do the mistake replacing the water with milk. That would make the pancakes very hard. But on the other hand you can leave the milk out and replace it with water, that's up to you. Then you must watch the batter not becoming to fluid. You can use the pancakes for sweet or savoury dishes either way. My mom mostly filled them with jam, Nutella (or any other chocolate spread) or vanilla cottage cheese with raisins and almonds. She fried them rather blank in the first place, filled and browned them again with butter, so they became golden and crispy on the outside, but stayed nicely soft on the inside. You can imagine, I do it the same way till today. However, be pretty careful with the jam; it starts getting runny as soon as heated, so does Nutella. 

Two of my favourite savoury dishes are pancakes with spinach and chicken in a nice béchamel sauce (white sauce) and pancakes with ham, asparagus and sauce hollandaise. 

But I will come to that anytime soon. For today let's just start at the beginning, with the pancakes.



Ingredients
(For 8-10 pancakes)

150 g flour
1 tsp icing sugar
1 pinch of salt
2 middle-sized eggs
120 ml water (room temperature)
120 ml milk (room temperature)

3 tbsp oil or butter

Preparation

Mix in one bowl the flour with salt and icing sugar. In an other bowl fill in the milk and water, add two eggs and whisk till consistent. Step by step add the flour mixture to the fluid, while whisking. The batter should be viscous. 
Cover the bowl with a cloth and let rest for 30 minutes.

Whisk then the oil in and preheat your pan to medium-to-high. Pour an extra tbsp of oil into the pan and sop it up with a paper towel, while spreading evenly on the pan. Grease after every pancake. That way you also remove little bits of the pancakes and you avoid burning.

Listen to your tummy and your heart and start filling. Enjoy!