Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Burger brioche buns and an accidental bread



Burger brioche buns

In my mind, the best burger buns ever. I never made the effort of baking burger buns myself, as I could always get them in the shops. That changed when I moved to Namibia, where one can't get them at all. You only get burgers made with ordinary white flour buns, even in the (fast food) restaurants. After a while, I started missing those soft buns I knew. So I decided to give it a try and bake the buns myself. After trying a few recipes, which were mostly terribly disappointing, I already gave up and settled for enjoying my burgers during my visits in Europe or on holidays.

Said so, on our honeymoon in January, we went to Mauritius and had the best burgers in a long time and the buns were made from brioche dough. Back home, I started again browsing, this time for burger brioche buns and luckily I found them here. It wouldn't be me, if I wouldn't make a mistake. While mixing the ingredients, I became suspicious, when the dough wasn't as runny as described in the recipe. The problem was I converted the milliliter measurement one-on-one to gram, without even thinking. So now I had to research how to modify the measurement right. As it turned out, I used way too much flour. The recipe you find is with the converted measurements and according to my liking and also to the ingredients I can get here. As you can see on the picture, they turned out perfect; and they not only look lekker, as you say in Namibia, they are delicious.



Ingredients for 8 buns

3 tbsp warm milk
250 ml lukewarm water
1 pkg Instant yeast
2,5 tsp sugar
1 large egg
435 g white bread flour

45 g cake flour
1,5 tsp salt
35.50 g butter

1 egg
1 tbsp water
1 pinch of salt
sesame seeds (black and white)

Preparation

Fill the water, milk and sugar into a cup or bowl and add the yeast. Stir the mixture until the yeast resolves and let it rest for about 5 minutes, so that the yeast begins to work. You should see bubbles and foam appear on the surface.

Put the flour with the salt into a large bowl and mix well, then crumble the butter in and add the egg. You can then add your water mixture and let it knead for a good 10 minutes. I'm using a Kitchen Aid heavy duty, so my mixture was actually ready after 5 minutes. You must just knead or let it knead until a smooth and slightly sticky dough is formed. Cover the bowl and let it rest until it doubles in volume.

Put parchment paper on your baking tray and flour your work surface very well. Place the dough on the surface and knead it a little, then divide it into eight equal pieces and form into balls. Place the balls on the baking tray, 5 cm or more apart from each other. Consider using two trays, depending on the size. Mind that the buns will rise a lot. Mine is so small, that I couldn't fit all 8 buns on it. Now cover the trays with a cloth and let the buns rise for another hour.

Preheat oven to 200 ° C. Fill an oven-proof dish with water and put it on the bottom of your oven.

Whisk in a small bowl the second egg with a tablespoon of water and some salt. Brush the egg mixture on the buns, so that they get a nice and shiny and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Put them for about 15 minutes in the oven.


Now back to my mistake: I don't like throwing away any food, that's why I took the big chunk of dough covered it and put it aside to rise. After finishing my buns, I kneaded my mistake, placed it the bread pan, left it for another hour to rise and put it in the oven. Out came a lovely white bread.

3 tbsp warm milk
250 ml lukewarm water
1 pkg Instant yeast
2,5 tsp sugar
1 large egg
800 g cake flour
1,5 tsp salt
35.50 g butter

Same preparation as the buns, but without the egg mixture or the sesame seeds. I bake the bread for around 25 minutes at 225 ° C.