Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Beetroot once more - Hake on beetroot purée

Hake on beetroot purée

Not only am I late this week once again, it's also beetroot again, but in my defence, it's that time of the year and I still had some left in the fridge. Beside, I just love beetroot.
I had to promise my husband though, I wouldn't dish up beetroot for a while, especially after I presented him a fresh squeezed beetroot-apple juice the next morning and I must admit, I kind of overdid it. A bit.

I also promise, I will get better with my writing. It's not like I'm not cooking or baking, I just can't find the time to actually sit down and write. I vow to improve.

I have to share this dish with you, as it was a superb combination with the hake and I can imagine it to be the perfect partner for many fish species.

I found the recipe here, in one of my favourite German recipe databases and followed the recipe almost as is.   And as much as I like to adjust recipes to my liking or just take them as an inspiration, much the same I'm happy to find a recipe I can go with.

To freshen it all up, I served the Hake on a beetroot purée with some leafy greens in a tasty vinaigrette.

Ingredients (for 2 servings)

4 hake fillets (with or without skin)
lemon juice
flour
salt
pepper

300 g fresh beetroot
1 small potato (ca. 120 g)
1 small onion
150 ml vegetable stock
1 tbsp horseradish (jarred)
1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
salt
pepper

Wash and peel the beetroot and potato and dice one of the bigger beetroot finely and put aside. Chop the rest roughly.
Chop the onion finely.

Heat some oil in a pot and braise the onion, potato and beetroot chunks lightly. Pour on the vegetable stock and let it simmer covered for approximately 20 minutes or till the potatoes are nicely cooked through.
The beetroot takes quite a while to soften, so I left it a bit firmer and instead of mashing everything I used an immersion blender.

Meanwhile heat some oil in an other pot, braise lightly the beetroot, add 2 tbsp of water and braise the beetroot covered for approximately 10 minutes, firm to the bite.

Season the fish with lemon juice, salt and pepper and dust with flour.
Heat some oil in a pan and fry the fish golden brown.

Mix the beetroot - potato purée with the beetroot dices and the horseradish, season with salt and pepper to taste.

Arrange the beetroot purée with the fish on a plate and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with some leafy greens.

Enjoy!

0 comments: